The World Awareness Children’s Museum (WACM) is chartered by the NY Department of Education to “bring our diverse world to children.” This mission is advanced through its interactive exhibitions, its international youth art exchange program, its educational programs, and its exhibitions for loan.
Working closely with the Executive Director, the Registrar is responsible for keeping all records relating to the museum’s collections and those pieces on loan for the purposes of exhibition, program, or study.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage accessioning, cataloguing, storing, and deaccessioning of the permanent and educational collections, including art, artifacts, and educational objects.
- Manage the administration of collection loans with respect to shipping, receiving, packing and unpacking of collection items. Will correspond with the appropriate agencies regarding expenses, arrangements, etc.; records and reports to appropriate agency on condition of works for traveling exhibitions, loans to other institutions, and for storage purposes.
- Oversee and implement the museum’s Collection Plan using the Collection Management Policy as a guideline.
- Manage the International Youth Art Collection and Exchange program.
- Develop and maintain a working familiarity with the museum’s growing collections.
- Responsible for document preparation and maintenance of permanent records and photographs of the collection, which are both computerized and on paper.
- Arrange for photography of collection items with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator.
- Responsible for preparation and packaging of artwork for various exhibitions, loans, and displays.
- Responsible for transportation and shipping of artwork as necessary.
- Work in tandem with the Curator to achieve curatorial goals.
- Assists with exhibitions and placement of items as necessary.
And other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- One to three years related museum experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in care and record keeping of collections.
- Experience with collections software, preferably PastPerfect or equivalent.
OTHER DESIREABLE QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS:
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational ability
- Excellent communication and writing skills
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
All staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Glens Falls, NY 12801: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- related museum: 1 year (Required)
You can apply here.
The World Awareness Children’s Museum is in need of a Per-Diem Educator!
The World Awareness Children’s Museum is a cultural museum for kids! Our museum is home to artifacts from all over the world and over 8,000 pieces of child-made art from over 100 countries, dating back to 1988. The museum also has a hands-on exhibition space for children, where they can learn about the world through play. If you love the arts, children, and cultural education, this job is for you!
Our Educator is the face of the Museum for the classrooms he or she visits. The Educator takes our pre-packaged educational programs to schools and libraries in Upstate New York and teaches children about different cultural holidays, food people eat around the world, traditional cultural clothing, and more. Educators also teach our Virtual Classroom Programs for classrooms around the country, from the comfort of a dedicated Virtual Classroom office in our building.
You should apply if:
- You have an education background
- You’re a fast learner
- You like working with children
- You’re outgoing
- You don’t mind traveling a little for work
- You are self-motivated
The pay rate is on a Per-Diem basis, with Educators earning a minimum of $41.50 per presentation and $24.75 per 1-hour training session.
Job Type: Contract
- Monday to Friday
All museum employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Required)
You can apply here.